1. Sri Devakirti Raja explained the Panchamahapurusha Yogas (denoting Great Men), which 1 explain below clearly.
2. Venus, Mars, Saturn, Jupiter and Mercury remaining in their respective own Houses, or exaltation Signs, identical with Angles, cause Malavya, Ruchaka, Sasa, Hamsa and Bhadra Yogas, respectively. The effects thereof have been elaborately explained by the ancient preceptors, which I briefly narrate here.
3-4. MALAVYA YOGA. One born in Malavya Yoga will have thin (not fleshy) lips, even physique, gray complexion, thin waist, splendour equal to that of the moon, majestic voice akin to that of a tusker, pleasant odor of the body, piercing sight, even and white teeth, hands extending to the knees and a longevity of seventy years. His face will be 13 inches in length and 10 inch broad, while the two ear-holes are 10 inch apart. (Angula denoted here, as an inch means 8 barley-corn-wide) He rules Laata, Malawa and Sindhu.
5-7. RUCHAKA YOGA. The native of Ruchaka Yoga will have a long face, pure splendour, great strength, valour, attractive eye brows, blue (very black) hair, penchant for war, knowledge of Mantras, be a leader of thieves, will have blood-red complexion, be very valorous, be a conqueror of enemies, will have a neck akin to conch, be chief, cruel, will honour Gods and Brahmins, thin shanks, will have marks of a staff (actually means a staff with a skull at the top deemed to be Shiva's weapon and carried by ascetics), cord, bull, arrow, diamond, lute etc. on the hands and legs, will be 100 inch tall, be skilled in Mantras and black magic, will weigh 100 tulas (one tula is 100 palas) and the circumference of his loins will correspond to the length of his face. He will rule places consisting of Vindhya and Sahya. He will live up to seventy and will attain his end through weapons/fire and will go to heavens.
8-10. SASA YOGA. One born in Sasa Yoga will have small teeth small face, fast pace, be crafty, very valorous, interested in forests, hills and forts, will have weak loins and long body, be famous, be an Army chief, skillful in all assignments, will have somewhat protruding teeth, be a metallurgist, be fickle minded, will have eyes resembling the lotus, be interested in the fair sex, will enjoy other's wealth, be devoted to his mother, weak waist, be very intelligent and will fault others. His hands will contain marks of couch, conch, wheel, garland, lute etc. According to sages he will be a ruler of some place and will die at 70.
11-13. HAMSA YOGA. One born in Hamsa Yoga will have a reddish face, elevated nose, beautiful feet, great virile power (indriya is here interpreted, as virile power coming under Jupiter), be whitish in complexion, will have broad cheeks, reddish nails, (mellifluous) voice, like that of the swan, be phlegmatic, will possess palms and soles with marks of trident, fish, arrow etc., honey-coloured and round eyes, be fond of sporting in water, will be delighted in sexually uniting with females, will weigh 1600 tulas and be 96 inch tall. He will lord over Sura Sena, Gandharva and places between the Ganges and Yamuna. His end will come later on in a forest. His longevity will be hundred years.
14-15. BHADRA YOGA. One born with the Bhadra Yoga will have a face, akin to that of a tiger, will imitate the elephant in gait, will have broad chest, long and strong hands and square body, will be sensuous, will have soft hair over cheeks, be learned, will possess hands and legs akin to lotus, be endowed with prowess and will be conversant with Yoga. His palms and soles will contain symbols of conch, sword, elephant, arrow, wheel, lotus, plough etc. His body will emanate smell akin to earth settled with fresh drizzles (particularly first of the season), sandal paste and elephant's ichor.
16-18. BHADRA YOGA (continued). He will know the meanings of Shastras, be valorous, will have well-knitted eye brows, will walk, like an elephant, will have genital organs in ‘concealed position' (like that of a horse, or a tusker) and a beautiful belly, be righteous, will have attractive fore face, be valorous, firm in prowess, will have black and short hair, be independent in all his undertakings, will not forgive (even) his own men, will allow his friends to enjoy his wealth, will weigh 2000 palas, will rule over the mid portion of the country, will possess females etc., be always happy and will die at 80.
19-21. GENERAL. He can become a monarch, if his voice is similar to the sound of a conch, drum, tusker, bull, or a roaring cloud. In such case he will rule over the entire earth and will conquer his enemies. One with viscid tongue, skin, teeth, eyes, nails and hair will become a ruler. If these are rough, he will experience penury. One with glossy, splendourous and bright complexion will become a king. Otherwise he will be poor and miserable. If these are meddling, he will be a middle class person with wealth, children, happiness etc.
Thus ends the 37th Ch. entitled “PANCHA MAHA PURUSHA YOGAS” in Kalyana Varma's Saravali.
1. Mars denotes one's prowess, Mercury greatness (or physical weight), Jupiter voice, Venus splendour (or friendship) and Saturn complexion (physical brightness).
2. EFFECTS OF SATTVA GUNA. If Sattva is predominant in a native, he will be highly merciful, will possess many wives and attendants, will be firm in disposition, will be a sweet and truthful speaker, will honour Gods and Brahmins and will be of forgiving temperament.
3. EFFECTS OF RAJOGUNA. One with predominant RajoGuna will be valorous, be skillful in fine arts and literature, be fond of uniting with women, be skillful, showy, jocular, spirited and be interested in music and gambling.
4. EFFECTS OF TAMOGUNA. With TamoGuna predominant, the native will be foolish, indolent, will cheat others, be irascible, miserable, be a talebearer, be devoid of good conduct, unkempt. blind due to lasciviousness, miserly and careless.
5. PRIMORDIAL COMPOUNDS (PANCHA BHUTAS). According to the strengths of Jupiter, Venus, Saturn, Mars and Mercury, the native will acquire the effects of the five Tatwas, viz. Ether, Water, Air, Fire and Earth. The strongest of the planet will impart corresponding temperament, viz. windy, bilious, or phlegmatic. If many planets attain strengths, these derivations will be mixed.
6. EFFECTS OF AKASA TATWA (ETHER). One with predominant characteristics of Ether will be skillful in grammar and meanings, be an expert in justice, be bold, know ledgeable, will have a broad face and peculiar physical joints, weak hands and feet and be quite tall.
7. EFFECTS OF JALATATWA (WATER). The native with predominant Watery nature will be quite charming, will endure heavy loads, will speak sweetly, be tremulous in appearance, will have many friends, be a king and will not be lastingly bold.
8. EFFECTS OF VAYU TATWA (AIR). One of predominant Airy nature will have an emaciated body, be easily given to anger, be deeply merged in his work, be of wandering disposition, be liberal, fair in complexion and be an inviolable king.
9. EFFECTS OF FIERY TATWA. One with predominant Fiery character, will be valorous, be hunger-stricken, be very sharp, learned, emaciated, fair in complexion, inimical, will have beautiful arms, will be a voracious eater and be tall.
10. EFFECTS OF PRITHVI TATWA (EARTH). One with Earthy nature will emanate the good smell of camphor, of jasmine and of blue lotus from his person, will enjoy abundantly, will possess voice, akin to that of a (roaring) lion, or clouds, be firm in disposition and be endowed with prowess.
11. BIRTH WITH AKASA TATWA. One born with the reflection of AKASA TATWA (ether) will be endowed with a physique with the brightness of crystal and of a gem. Just as wealth confers happiness this reflection will make one achieve effects of TriVargas (i.e. the three objects of worldly existence, viz. Dharma, or moral merits, Artha, or attainment of riches, or worldly prosperity and Kama, or desire of sensual enjoymentthese three ends form the well known triad excluding Moksha, or final emancipation).
12. BIRTH WITH JALA TATWA (water). One born with the reflection of watery tatwa will be glossy, will have the complexion of white Durva grass, will receive protection as, if from the mother and will prosper.
13. BIRTH WITH VAYU TATWA (air). One born with the reflection of Vayu Tatwa will be akin to black clouds (that are going just to cause heavy rains), will emanate foul smell, be very foolish, will have a dirty and coarse physique, be subjected to great miseries and will experience poverty, diseases, evils and financial destruction.
14. BIRTH WITH AGNI TATWA. One born with the reflection of Agni (fiery) Tatwa will be bright, as the burning flame, will confer severe punishments, will conquer all his enemies and the earth by his own valour, will possess jewels, gold etc., will attain success in all his undertakings and will be free from diseases and grief.
15. BIRTH WITH EARTHY TATWA. One born with the reflection of Prithwi (earth) Tatwa will emanate smell from the body akin to the smell coming out of earth, when sprinkled with fresh drizzles. He will have charming teeth, nails, hair and body. He will attain merits and happiness and be dear to all.
16-17. SIGNS OF PREDOMINANT WINDY TEMPERAMENT. One with predominant windy temperament will be benumbed with cold and shivering, will speak much and will walk fast, be fond of moving in boats, be valorous, spiteful, sickly, unfortunate, unjust, will not be very friendly disposed, will have knowledge of music, be emaciated, be skillful in acquiring friends, will fly in the skies in dreams, be devoid of courage and gratitude, will have rough hair, will have splay feet and crooked arms, be irascible, will have lost splendour and will face financial losses.
18-19. SIGNS OF PREDOMINANT BILIOUS TEMPERAMENT. One with predominant bile will emanate foul smell from his person, be less distressed, greatly intelligent, be easily satisfied, will have large transparent nails, large eyes, hands and feet, will resemble an old man, will suffer morbid heat, be a scholar, be fearless, fond of cold articles, will not fear even at the hands of his enemies, will be affectionate to all and will be fond of food. His dreams will be about gold, sun. light, forest-conflagration, kimsuka (a kind of tree, which yields charming red blossoms, which however have no fragrance), precious stones, karnikara (the pericarp of a lotus, alternatively a kind of flower with excellent hue, but no smell and hence disliked), red lotus, eunuch, blood and lightning.
20-21. SIGNS OF PREDOMINANT PHLEGMATIC TEMPERAMENT. One with predominant phlegmatic temperament will be wealthy, will have clung joints, be courageous and strong, will have a bright and charming physique, be a recipient (of gifts, benefits etc.), be Sattvik, will have voice akin to the sound of a drum and roaring clouds, be enduring, fair in complexion, will have reddish eyes, will enjoy sweet drinks, (sometimes) will be highly inimical, be grateful, be friendly to all and will honour elders. His dreams will be seas, rivers, coral stones, lakes, swan, conch, stars, lily, snowfall etc. These effects are attributed by the sages.
22. LUMINARIES IN MAHAPURUSHA YOGAS. Though Mars etc. may be strong in the respective cases of Pancha Mahapurusha Yogas (vide Sloka 2 of this Ch.), if the Sun and the Moon are weak, the person will not attain kinghood, but in the period of the concerned planet will be endowed with children and wealth.
Thus ends the 38th Ch. entitled “GUNA TATWA PHALA” in Kalyana Varma's “SARAVALI”.
1. Earlier, the Yogas of kinghood have been explained. There can be some factors, which prevent the effects of such Yogas, which I explain in this Ch..
2. Out of Mars, Saturn, Jupiter and the Sun, if two, or more be in fall and one of them simultaneously be in the Ascendant, as the Moon is in Scorpio, the RajaYogas will become futile.
3. The RajaYogas in the horoscope are only name sake, if the Moon being weak is in the last Navāńśa of a Movable Sign, or in the 8th Navāńśa of a Fixed Sign, or in the first Navāńśa of a Common Sign and is without aspect from any other planet.
4. Same effects will come to pass, if all malefics occupy Angles identical with debilitation/inimical Signs, while benefics are shunted to the 12th, 6th and 8th Houses.
5. If the Ascendant is in Vargothama position without aspect to any planet, the RajaYogas will only be a failure.
6. Even a hundred kingly Yogas will be of no avail, if Aquarius rises, while 3 heavenly bodies are in their Signs of fall.
7. If there is no benefic in an Angle, or with the Moon, while 4 planets are either in fall, or in combustion, or in inimical Signs, the RajaYogas are marred.
8. Should the Sun be in his own Navāńśa, while the Moon is in combustion and in aspect to malefics without the aspect of benefics, the native will enjoy rulership (with the help of other Raja Yogas) only to relinquish the kingdom soon and will become miserable.
9. Should the Moon lend her inimical aspect to the Ascendant Lord, while the Sun, Mars and Saturn are in their order in the 3rd, 6th and 7th, the RajaYogas will become ineffective. Benefics should in this case be not in Angles, but suffer combustion.
10. If five heavenly bodies are in fall at birth the RajaYogas will not come to pass.
11. If meteor, noise of contending winds in the sky (or earth quake, or thunder), Vyatipata, or Upaketu be seen at the time of birth, the good RajaYogas stand nullified.
12. If Trisankhu Nakshatra (Trisankhu was a monarch of the solar race, who remained suspended with his head towards the earth, as a constellation in the southern hemisphere) rises at the time of one's birth, while the Ascendant is occupied by Saturn, as there is fall of a comet, the Raja Yogas do not come to pass.
13. If the planets capable of causing Raja Yoga are inclined to enter in war, or are becoming splendourless, or about to lose their strength, the RajaYogas will stand canceled.
14. If weak Moon is in her deep degree of debilitation the RajaYogas get destroyed, just as a king going against an astrologer.
15. The Sun in the 10th degree of Libra will destroy all RajaYogas, just as miserliness eclipses all the good attributes of a person.
16. This Sloka is repeated in the original. The meaning is identical with that of Sloka 15 above.
17. Even though other planets may be in their Mulatrikona, exaltation, or own Signs, while the Sun is singly in deep fall, the RajaYogas will be unavailable.
18. If Jupiter occupies Capricorn, as Ascendant, while the Moon is not in Cancer, the native will become miserable, just as a penniless lewdster in the place of a courtesan.
19. If in the formation of Kemadruma Yoga, the Moon is without the aspect of another planet, the RajaYogas lose their existence and the native will be devoid of good conduct.
20. If 3, or more planets be in fall even the son of an emperor ruling over the entire earth will take to begging, be miserable, be dirty and penniless.
21. If 5 planets occupy inimical Signs, or are in combustion, while the Sun, or the Moon is not in exaltation, the kingly Yogas will become ineffective.
22. If Venus occupy his debilitation Navāńśa, even a vast kingdom is deprived from the native.
23. RajaYogas have been explained earlier. The combinations marring such kingly states are given in this Ch.. The stronger one of these two will only prevail.
24. RAJA YOGA. The Sun in Virgo, Mars in Scorpio along with Jupiter, as the Moon is in Aries: this configuration will produce a king the dust of whose elephants will darken the-skies.
Thus ends the 39th Ch. entitled “OBSTRUCTIONS TO RAJAYOGAS” In Kalyana Varma's Saravali.